World-renowned German font designer Hermann Zapf died on June 4, 2015 at the age of 96. The creator of many internationally recognized and popular fonts, such as Palatino, Optima and Zapfino, had a close personal and business relationship with D. Stempel AG (later Linotype AG, now Monotype GmbH) that spanned decades.
Read our obituary, written exclusively for Linotype.com by journalist Andreas Weber: “Mastery through Precision and Passion”.
- Linotype blog: Find all the news and important information about typography in our font magazine, our newsletters and on Facebook and Twitter
- New: Between by Akira Kobayashi for only $99* in an introductory offer
- Neo Sans Selection for only $99* – available for 24 hours only
- London Calling: “Type Safari” in London
- Video tip: remembering the font pioneer Hermann Zapf
TagsAkira Kobayashi, Akko, Alessio Leonardi, Arabic, Arabic Fonts, book, Book Recommendation, brand perfect, Buch, Calligraphy, Coleface, deltahints, Demos Next Condensed, Doug Wilson, Dr. Gerard Unger, Eric Gill, FontExplorer X, Font Management, font search, Gill Sans, google, Helmut Ness, Hermann Schmidt Verlag, Hermann Zapf, Joanna, Linotype, linotype.com, Linotype: The Film, Mantika Book, Mantika font family, Metro, Mr. Typo, new, Offer, Palatino, Project, Sans Serif Font, Tool, Tutorial, twitter, Univers, Victor Garcia, video, Video tip, Web Fonts